Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Halo 3 and seminary

While i was day dreaming about the release of Halo 3 during seminary, I hardly knew what was going on, besides the fact that 18 out of the 33 seminary students were busily playing the Halo 3 campaign. I felt jealousy. After my day dream, I decided to actually pay attention in seminary and heard an interesting comment. My teachers was talking about Halo 3 and how those kinds of first-person shooters are gory and violent. I agree, but he said something that I don't agree with. He said we should run away from those games and people. The part i disagree with is the fact taht he is telling us to run away from something. Becoming fearful. As a strong member of the LDS church I know that fear is a trait of the devil. We, as a whole should not be fearful at all, in any circumstance. The LDS religion teaches us to not be fearful, but to set an example. This is where my teacher made a mistake. Running away helps for the short-term, but will come and bite you in the buttocks later on. My theory is we should set an example and instead of running away from a game or a movie you can stand up and say "I don't want to watch that" or I don't feel comfortable watching this or playing. I'm glad I didn't say this aloud, because I would've crucified my teacher. And on a happy note, Halo 3 is one of the best games that i've played in my life and it's dang fun :)

1 comment:

Kirk said...

Yes, it is true that we should stand up for our beliefs. However, I don't think your seminary teacher was alluding to the cowardly definition of running away. Was Joseph cowardly when he ran away from Pottifer's wife? Running away cowardly is a bad thing, but if we do it more assertively, it's better.